Good Morning Lacquered Lifers! Feels like it has been a long time since I have done one of my “Cheap & Chic of the Week” posts. Too long in fact. So I thought I would bring back the famed series with a little something on holiday parties. I think sometimes we are overwhelmed by these pinterest perfect holiday soirees that we look at online, and at the end of the day the secret to a great party is enough food, enough booze, and a great group of people. Throwing a holiday party does not mean that you have to have the finest china or the biggest Christmas tree, and there are some great low cost options for entertaining pieces. Even if you do have the finest china or the biggest Christmas tree, these are all staples for throwing a great big party where you don’t spend the entire night stressing about the fact that your drunk friend dropped a piece of your grandmother’s china. So if you are thinking about throwing a holiday party, take a deep breath, and head to Costco to stock up on frozen pigs in blankets – it will be fine. And take my advice on these entertaining essentials, you will get a lot of mileage out of them … as I have.
1. CB2 Marta Barware. At $1.95 for a Double Old Fashioned Glass you cannot beat the price, and the sleek chic look is timeless. Its worth ordering more than you need and storing them under your bed.
2. Ikea Blanda Bowls and Ikea Skyn Bowls. The Blandas are $2.99 for a pack of 4, and the Skyn are $7.99 for 2. For those of you lucky enough to live within an afternoon’s driving distance from an Ikea, you really cannot go wrong with any entertaining pick from that store.
3. World Market Event Red Wine & Event White Wine Glasses. These are the best. And they come in these great cardboard boxes that you can store them in. The shape is nice, and the price is right $15.96 for a set/4.
4. Crate & Barrel Pine Tree. While it isn’t real, it comes pretty close, and the bottom is wrapped in burlap – what’s not to like? Its $29.95 for a two foot tree which would look great on your coffee table. Decorate it, don’t decorate it, who cares – it’s instant holiday decor.
5. CB2 Cuatro Platters. Among my favorite things. They were one of the first things I bought when I got my first apartment out of college, and were a feature at my first Christmas party in my fifth floor walkup. Remember the crowded party scene in Breakfast at Tiffany’s? Think smaller apartment and long narrow hallway and that was my party. I love these platters, and I continue to use them constantly … they start at $1.95.
Happy Holiday Party!